Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012.


It's December 19th. I don't anticipate having this posted until I come back from Charlotte but I figured I'd make an effort to at least start writing due to the anticipation of a crazy, photo-filled next few weeks. My trip to SoFla was much better than I imagined it could be. The highlight of my trip included making cookies (I've already devoured most of them), watching Naked Lunch (well...half of it anyway), and getting the ever-incredible annual Santa picture with Zack. The drive was brutal, though. I remember it to be more fun than it's been my last few trips. I suppose that has a lot to do with kicking bad habits. Now the drive is monotonous and solemn. Especially when I'm by myself.



This year has been an excellent year for gift giving and gift receiving. I think I managed to get everyone practical gifts that need not be regifted inconspicuously. After driving home from my parents' house (and Lynn finally got home from work), we sat down with Brandon to open his gifts. The glee and excitement of Brandon's gift unwrapping was too much for our impressionable Christmas spirits to bear. We ended up going back on our original plan and having Christmas early. It was wonderful! I love the look on a person's face when they rip open the wrapping paper (or, in our case, unwrap so slowly that the anticipation kills us all) and let loose a giddy scream of appreciation. And I've gotten exactly what I wished for. My two Davids have certainly splurged! My Keurig and iPod touch (with FaceTime!) will be great additions to 2012.

One of my favorite gifts that I gave this year was also a gift for me: a ticket to my very first pro-hockey game. While I wanted to get tickets to a Colorado game for David, the whole living-here-on-the-east-coast thing was a little bit of a road block. So we're headed to Tampa to see the Lightning. My little brother, Alex, is apparently a ballin' hockey goalie, so I'm excited to have the opportunity to get into the sport. Appropriate time for ego-boosting pictures:

Being an awesome goalie runs in the family.

Alexander Husarenko (on the right)
*****
It's December 30th. My last trip to Charlotte just before Thanksgiving was undeniably spectacular. This past week was a similarly special mix of princess play time, great food, screaming kids, consignment shopping, chilly weather, cold feet, football, corn hole, and post-Christmas merriment.

Leo was a sad sap to see me leave. I really hate to leave him for so long, but I trusted Lynn and Mallory with my favorite puppy. Jess and Vince's dog, Riley, made a decent temporary substitute. My Leo is still the best ever, though. And I was greeted with such a warm homecoming when I got back. 


Pretend-time with the girls was quite magical. I think David was both the princess AND the prince this week. He wears his ascot well. He's pretty perfect.


Charlotte is also home to my absolute favorite restaurant: P.F. Changs! We had some delicious tofu lettuce wraps and Cantonese duck before heading back to the house for our belated Christmas celebration.  


It was nice to have a family-type Christmas. Screaming kids instead of screaming adults: somehow it bodes well. 


This gift was by far my most successful pinterest attempt. 
Wine cork and canvas monogram letter.
 

 Wednesday, I went to my very first bowl game (the Belk Bowl)! It happened to be my second football game ever (the first being FSU vs. UF....31-7!!). It was great to see NC State kick butt and bring in the win, despite the freezing weather.


 I've decided that Charlotte is eligible for a spot in my top five places to live once I'm through in Tallahassee. The cost of living is a little high, but it's beauty and quiet city-scene are enthralling. 


Jess suggested a little cafe called Zada Jane. It happened to be an excellent choice. We hit up this quaint little eatery before hitting the road home. 


Please note the spelling and grammar of this gas pump notice.

pl. pay in side
cash and
card
outside no work
thank yoy
shorry
  He was definitely pooped. It was a wonderfully exhausting week, but I'm glad to be home. Did I mention that this man is amazing?


And an Emi-Ari photo dump:



*****
And last but not least, I think I've come to the conclusion that new years resolutions are pointless. I set goals and don't accomplish them, and when the next new year comes around, I set the same resolutions that continue to cycle onto following years. If anything, my resolution will be to strive to be the best person I can be each and every day, according to God. Whatever that entails will be what I try to do (emphasis on try). I'm tired of setting unrealistic goals that I never accomplish, and eventually feel guilty for not working toward.

Things to look forward to this year:
  • My 21 day Daniel Fast (1.16)
  • Dad's birthday weekend in Orlando (2.4-5)
  • Lightning vs. Capitals hockey game (2.18)
  • Lauren's bachelorette party and bridal shower
  • Lauren's wedding week (4.16-20)
  • 22nd birthday aka a super awesome vaca with DB! (5.27)
  • Imminent death (12.12)
It's January 31st. Today, I've gotten all of my errands done, made some returns, and got my oiled changed. Sometime today, I have to start finish a 6 page paper. Tomorrow my mother turns 43 (Happy birthday, mom!). Next Saturday, David and I have our first day of soccer games. I hope everyone celebrated a wonderful Hanukkah and/or Christmas, and a splendid ringing-in of this glorious new year. May God bless you in 2012.

2 comments:

Cara-Marie said...

I've concluded that one reason your life is so spectacular is because you are so spectacular.

Everything you touch turns to gold! Especially when you convert an experience into words.

I absolutely love reading your posts and catching up on what's going on in your life! Does that make me a creeper??? lol

In any case - I wish you a amazing and happy 2012 complete with God's best! He says your worth it!!

Love you

Samantha said...

Haha. It doesn't make you a creeper. Trust me, I do my fair share of creeping. I wouldn't post it if I didn't want people to read it! Thanks for being such a godly support for me this year. You're amazing, Cara-Marie!