Friday, March 25, 2011

Capital Punishment: There's an app for that.

It's Friday. Finally. And He has been so gracious to give us Tallahasseans some amazing weather this past week. I've been driving around the city, silently wishing I could drive just a few more miles, but trying to be conscious of my gas gauge (and the price! jeesh!). I love the purity of the sun on my face, the bright blue sky holding up the handful of clouds that dare to rest in God's perfect painting of a Thursday morning. I've been enjoying the wind in my hair, and the gentle breeze on my face that reminds me to be thankful for the beauty that lay all around me.

JB and I start pre-marital counseling with our minister tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited. I've been warned of the tension that it will cause, and the personal struggles that will ensue, but I've never been more certain that I'm headed down the right path (with JB that is). I'm nervous, I'm tense, but I'm full of His strength...and I feel the presence of His opposition grow stronger everyday.


"Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."

I feel its presence in my dreams, begging me to give in to my temptations and be of the world. But I will not fall from His grace, Dark Adversary. My God has promised me His Kingdom, and much more glory than could ever be found in this world. All this means to me is that my soul is growing closer to the Lord, and the devil knows he is losing. And no one likes to lose. Friends, be wary! Guard your heart so that you may be nearest the Lord in times to come. The evil one is roaming this earth looking for you; feeding off your weaknesses.

Some people know about a daily devotional I've been getting in my email called "Girlfriends in God". Today's lesson referred to something I've been struggling with for a while; something that I know He (and Justin) continue to urge me to work on. My profanity has never been out of control, but when I forget to consciously monitor it, the words come out and the guilt takes over. Whether it's a look from Justin, or an internal feeling that I've sinned, I've been recently trying to take hold of this temptation and "tame my tongue".

  • "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29
  • "If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's faith is worthless." James 1:26
  • "Your tongue plots destruction, like a sharp razor, you worker of deceit." Psalm 52:2 

Not only am I ridding my heart and mouth of words that don't mirror who I want to be, but I am working on losing weight. Not just a diet, not just a fast, but a lifestyle change. I want to get back to always eating healthy; taking care of the vessel that God has given me to serve Him in. I know that this won't be easy, but I ask for your continued prayers. I'm trying to get my act together so that I will be spiritually, emotionally, and physically ready to be a wife that He greatly approves of, and that Justin Brown will be proud to introduce to everyone he knows. I will never be perfect, but I know I'm not everything He has provided for me to be. Lord, please help me to be a better woman in Your image.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your thirst for God is so pure and genuine that I cannot help but smile every time I get a chance to stop by and read your most recent posts. God honors those who honor Him. Continue to lift Him up with your lifestyle & He will pour out His blessings & favor on your life.

Grace & Peace